A full-scale invasion of the russian federation should not stop Ukrainian science, in particular, the pursuance of continuous research at Akademik Vernadsky station in Antarctica. Some series of measurements here have been ongoing since 1947, are the longest on the continent and are of extraordinary value to world science. That’s why the NASC is preparing for the rotation of winterers of the 27th UAE, who have been working at the station for almost a year. They should be replaced by the 28th UAE team (2023-2024), the composition of which has already been approved.
So, what will be the new Ukrainian expedition to Antarctica?
Continuing the positive experience of the 27th UAE, the competition commission selected 14 participants for the main team (before that, there were 12 for a long period). Increasing the number of scientists in the expedition makes it possible to carry out more research at the station, in particular, within the framework of many international projects in which Ukraine participates.
Among 14 participants there are 9 scientists (3 for each scientific field – geophysics, meteorology, biology) and 5 representatives of the life support team: a doctor, a cook, a diesel engineer, a mechanic and system administrator.
The 28th UAE has an equal number of experienced polar explorers and beginners. Such ratio contributes to the effective transfer of wintering experience: conducting year-round scientific research and ensuring the operation of the station.
The expedition is headed by one of the most experienced Ukrainian polar explorers, for whom this will be a record tenth (!!!) wintering, – geophysicist Bogdan Gavrylyuk. He was the head of the 26th UAE, which, after successfully completing all the tasks, returned to Ukraine after the start of a full-scale war, in the spring of 2022. Arriving home, Bogdan immediately stood up for Ukraine, joining the ranks of the Border Service. Until now, he has performed tasks in the north of Ukraine, in particular in Chernihiv region, and now he is returning to an equally important mission – to ensure the operation of Akademik Vernadsky station all year round.
Another feature of the 28th UAE is that it will have three participants from the previous, 27th UAE. Scientists – biologist Serhii Hlotov (you all remember his wonderful photos), geophysicist Andrii Sopin and meteorologist Serhii Razumnyi – decided to continue their research at the station next year and had successfully passed the competition. This is the first time in the history of Ukrainian Antarctic expeditions that three participants stay for the winter for the second year.
We must also state that the new expedition is composed entirely of men. Unfortunately, this year only 5 women applied for the competition (for comparison: last year there were 19 candidates), but they did not pass all the stages of the competitive selection. We hope to receive more applications from women for the next expedition, because for the last 4 years they have always been part of winterings.
So, we announce the list of participants of the 28th UAE and wish them success in these turbulent times at the southernmost outpost of Ukraine
Head of the Expedition:
- Bogdan Gavrylyuk – born in 1972, Institute of Radio Astronomy, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kharkiv, geophysicist (10th wintering).
- Serhii Hlotov – born in 1986, State Museum of Natural History of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv (2nd wintering);
- Vadym Tkachenko – born in 1992, Pryazovskyi National Nature Park, Melitopol, Zaporizhzhia region (2nd wintering);
- Taras Peretiatko – born in 1981, Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Lviv (1st wintering).
- Oleksandr Poluden – born in 1986, Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Center, Kyiv (5th wintering);
- Dmytro Krychun – born in 1978, “Kropyvnytskyi” civil aviation meteorological station, Kropyvnytskyi (1st wintering);
- Serhii Razumnyi – born in 1988, Borys Sreznevskyi Central Geophysical Observatory, Vyshgorod, Kyiv region (4th wintering).
- Andrii Sopin – born in1982, Institute of Radio Astronomy, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kharkiv (4th wintering);
- Andrii Olefir – born in 1996, National Technical University of Ukraine “Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”, Kyiv (1st wintering).
Life support team:
- doctor Dmytro Martynenko – born in1990, Kyiv (1st wintering);
- cook Andrii Bobrov – born in 1988, Kyiv region (1st wintering);
- mechanic Oleksandr Mylashevskyi – born in 1983, Chernihiv (2nd wintering);
- diesel engineer Serhii Popriienko – born in 1973, Kryvyi Rig (1st wintering);
- system administrator Serhii Sallo – born in 1988, Kropyvnytskyi (1st wintering).